Monday, February 15, 2010

Burn the Overachiever!!

Such is the attitude of some teenagers in our world.....so, the question that comes to my mind is this: what happens to the poor human beings (such as myself) who enjoy achieving things? I would really love not to be burnt.
That realization of this fact came to me when I was sitting in my Seminary class and my teacher asked to see, by the raise of hands, who had read the Book of Mormon...I raised my hand...the next question my seminary teacher asks is who has read the Book of Mormon in the past year...again, I raise my hand...the kid in the seat two over from me muttered under his breath 'overachiever' with a distinct roll of his eyes. Suddenly the words of my mentor came to my mind...'Burn the overachiever!!' great...
My face flushed with anger. What had I done to deserve that? 'Jerk' I thought mercilessly, 'Stupid, non-achieving, jerk.' Okay, okay, that wasn't very nice of me...but it’s hard to be nice when you are worrying about being burned after seminary for crying out loud!
It wasn't that I was worried about literally being burned...but come on, you never know what a crazy mob of teenage kids would do to an 'overachiever!' luckily, I was able to escape the seminary building and reach the safety of my car before a mob formed.
Now the worry that consumed my thoughts was what I could possibly do to avoid being burnt in the future? I came up with several solutions:
1 Not achieve anything. Ever.
Pros: Not getting burned at the stake…which is a very good thing...
Cons: leading an intensely boring life, with no feeling of accomplishment which is accompanied by a rush of joy….which I cannot live without.
Well, that solution is out! I would rather be burned for overachieving than accomplish and achieve nothing.
2 Be the overachiever…and burn them before they burn you.
Pros: Not getting burned at the stake. Achieving my dreams. Not living in fear of being burnt. This solves all of my problems!! Happy days for the rest of my life!!
Cons: Killing people….that item is not on my bucket list…
Well, that solution is better than the first…but only as a last resort…
3 Be the overachiever…just don’t get burnt
Pros: Staying alive! Accomplishing as much as I want too!
Cons: That would take a lot of thought and planning…which would take up my ‘achieving’ time, and not being burnt isn’t guaranteed.
Hmm… that one is more dangerous than number two…but more exciting than number one…this is going to be a very difficult decision.
That concludes my ideas, and I am still indecisive on what path I should take. I will probably end up living my life with a mixture of my solutions…preferably not burning others, or being burned myself. Yes, I realize this is a dangerous life to lead, seeing as there are a lot of people with the purpose of 'burning the overachiever,' but that will be my way of living life on the edge, it will give my life entertainment as I escape the non-achievers and their mobs.

1 comment:

natalie johansen said...

Moral: homicide is the only road to happy overachieving-ness.